Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Painting a Pet Portrait - the process of Jax and Holland

Lately I was asked to show the steps of painting a pet portrait. Interviewed in January in the Snap Beaches Newspaper about the process, I thought it's great to share it with you.

This is from an earlier painting, the portrait of Jax and Holland, commissioned as a birthday gift. They are both black shepherd mixed breeds who were adopted into a loving home.

I had assembled a collage of photographs of Jax and Holland. After discussing with owner the importance of creating the relationship of the two dogs in this portrait, I have placed the older dog in front as he is always on guard overlooking everything that is happening. Always eager to play, the younger dog is looking at us with an excited look on his face.

Using a soft pencil, I have lightly sketched directly onto a stretched canvas, 24 x 30 inches.

I begin with the underpainting in black acrylic. It is very loose and light with the texture of the fur. This is a quality that I want to keep.

Next, I paint the eyes, which I feel is the soul of the dog. Then I paint the background. I continue building up the layers, much like I do when creating a sculpture, giving the dogs more dimension.

This is the final painting of the two dogs, Jax and Holland. As art lovers, the owners were ecstatic. In it are captured the qualities that they love... the colour blue, the effect of water over rocks in the background, and most of all the love of the two dogs and the everlasting bond between their owners.

1 comment:

Bark back here!